Involving all Finnish higher education institutions, Digivisio 2030 is a joint programme whose aim is to create a future for learning that benefits higher education institutions, learners and our society as a whole. All 38 Finnish higher education institutions have signed the programme’s participation agreement, and the programme office was established at the end of 2020.
Digivisio enables learners to learn more easily and flexibly, thus allowing them to accumulate the necessary expertise for a constantly changing world.
Digivisio strengthens the role of the teacher as a producer of high-quality content and as a facilitator of internationally renowned study experiences.
Digivisio ensures that the standard of higher education rises and Finns’ access to employment improves – both in Finland and abroad.
Digivisio 2030 aims to produce the following by 2030:
- enables the compatibility of digital services between higher education institutions,
- provides the learner’s ‘My Data’ service and integrates the learner’s learning and career path with the competence accumulated before and after attending a higher education institution and
- improves the compatibility of actors’ information management and lowers the threshold for utilising national solutions.
- supports studies and students’ well-being regardless of time and place and in an accessible manner,
- establishes artificial intelligence solutions as a guidance tool and
- puts the learner’s benefit at the centre of development.
- we will be able to deploy the national digital service platform,
- digitalise study administration processes and applying to higher education institutions,
- support the evolution of higher education institutions into open communities with knowledge-based management and
- give individuals and society access to data.
The Digivisio 2030 programme plan was approved in the joint General Assembly of higher education institutions in autumn 2021. Read more about the project plan (in Finnish).
The programme is founded on equal and open decision-making
The steering and decision-making models of the Digivisio 2030 programme have been built in accordance with the principles of transparency and openness.
The General Assembly, composed of representatives from all higher education institutions, is the supreme decision-maker of the programme.
The steering group steers the operational activities of the programme in accordance with the guidelines of the General Assembly. The higher education institutions have elected representatives to serve in the programme steering group.
The programme office is responsible for the practical implementation of the programme. Practical development work is guided by the objectives and roadmaps established with the higher education institutions, i.e. the General Assembly and the steering group.
The management groups provide operational support to the internal projects within the framework of the project plan. The steering group appoints the management groups.
Read more about the Digivisio 2030 management model and organisational structure:
Digivisio 2030 is an ambitious and long-term programme. Its funding involves the use of multiple sources of funding to achieve the programme objective.
- In 2021, the Ministry of Education and Culture awarded a special grant of EUR 20 million to the Digivisio 2030 programme.
- In addition to the special grant, the Ministry of Education and Culture has allocated EUR 17.8 million in strategic funding to the programme for 2021-2024.
- As part of Finland’s Sustainable Growth Programme, the programme has been granted an additional EUR 6 million until 2024.
With regard to legislation, the Digivisio 2030 programme works in close cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Culture. One of the priorities of the programme is to identify possible needs for changes in legislation so that Digivisio can be realized. Read more about the preliminary study on legislative changes.
The learner’s perspective is at the core of Digivisio’s work, and the services implemented in the programme are developed in a user-oriented manner.
The target group of Digivisio is exceptionally broad. The aim is that, in the future, all learners can use Digivisio services regardless of their prior competence, level of education or labour market status.
Development work is carried out in close cooperation with learners. The programme drafted a report on its different user groups, and the user forum is actively used in the development of services and operating models.
The growing importance of digital pedagogy and support for well-being in the learning process requires new kinds of skills from teachers, tutors and education planners. Digivisio also seeks solutions and tools for developing digital pedagogy.
- In the programme, higher education institutions will create a vision and rules for the future of digital pedagogy, on which the development of digital pedagogy in higher education institutions is based.
The development work carried out in the special grant programmes of higher education institutions in 2017-2020 will be used in the digital pedagogical development work of the programme. Read more about the connection between Digivisio and the special grant programmes of higher education institutions.
The success of Digivisio requires extensive expertise from the entire field of higher education. The staff of higher education institutions play a key role in defining and coordinating the processes, concepts and operating methods enabling Digivisio. Experts from higher education institutions are involved in Digivisio’s work in different ways, such as through the contributor model and co-creation.
- In the contributor model, higher education institutions offer their expertise in Digivisio work. Read more on the contributor model.
- The programme holds various events and workshops that are open to everyone. You can find the latest events on our website.
The services produced in the Digivisio programme will be developed in close cooperation with higher education institutions through piloting. The higher education institutions participating in the pilots will be given an insight into the development of Digivisio’s joint services and will be among the first to introduce them. Higher education institutions will be kept up-to-date on opportunities to participate in the piloting of services.
The programme will also focus on support for change management in higher education institutions. The programme for support for change management is being prepared in cooperation with higher education institutions, and the programme supports higher education institutions in change management.
The aim of Digivisio is to create an open, recognized learning ecosystem based on Digivisio’s digital services, the joint study offering of higher education institutions and interaction with companies and society. Data, education and competence circulate in the ecosystem.
The aim is to ensure long-term development and create the preconditions for future service development. Solutions are created openly in order to integrate them with other existing services and interfaces.
Learners’ data is utilized across institutional boundaries, although learners always have final say on how their data is shared.
Through the digital services of the ecosystem, lifelong learners can flexibly and continuously complete studies that meet their individual needs across the boundaries of higher education institutions and develop their competence through an open study offering.
Studies related to the ecosystem are currently being conducted, with the aim being to launch the first pilots in 2024.
Monitoring programme progress
The Digivisio2030.fi website contains all the basic information about Digivisio and its progress. The programme makes every effort to engage in participatory and open work and holds regular information events and workshops, the dates and contents of which are explained on the website. Additional materials are also available in Eduuni wiki (login required), particularly with regard to the situational picture and service development of the programme. Subscribe to the programme newsletter on our website and follow the programme on social media:
For any matters concerning the programme, contact the programme office at